July 2020

My friend's T140 broke it's kickstart spring, and as it happened, we were waiting for a gap in my shed so we could replace his fork stanchions. Seemed I would now be doing both at once.

Gearbox oil drained and cover about to come off.

Kickstart spring provided no obstacles, so that all got buttoned up and the front forks came apart.

In every job I do, cleaning stuff takes the greatest part of the total time. There is no getting around it. Most parts come off the bike in a filthy state, and the only way to build a lasting machine is to make sure that everything is scrupulously clean as it goes together.

So here are all the fork parts cleaned and ready to be reassembled, and at this point all the new seals, and O rings, and fluids, get added.

The most exacting part of replacing fork stanchions is getting the stanchions fitted up in the upper and lower triple clamps, and once that is done, the rest of the job is quite easily manageable and rewarding as things resume their proper place.

So here the new stanchions are indeed right where they need to be, although the springs and cap bolts are yet to be fitted.

The rest of the front end went together without drama, and the brakes did not require bleeding as the fluid pipes had not been disturbed.

However, I recently acquired a mint 1973 UK model fuel tank in pristine condition, and I wanted to see it on a bike. As this bike was also '73 and thus featured the same colour scheme, I figured it would make the ideal platform. And it did..

I completed an oil change as well and then all was done, so it could be wheeled outside and some photos taken. Interesting that the odd combination of UK tank and US 'bars looks decidedly weird, but at least the new tank got some air. As did the bike.

The completion of another fine machine in my temporary care. Sweet.