July 2020

A friend whose T160 I had recently woken up from several years slumber also had a very tidy Rocket 3. This had also been stored in rather dusty conditions for a long period, and now it was time to get it back on the road as he was considering selling it.

Rather tired looking and with flat tyres I dragged it into the shed and dumped its oils. At least it wouldn't need brake cylinders rebuilding as it has drum brakes both ends.

Battery was lifeless so that got removed, and the carbs were all gummed up so they would come off as well, along with the airfilter, and the seat, and the fuel tank. The usual scenario...

The float bowls had a very good helping of gunk, and the main jets were blocked, plus some needles took a bit of cleaning too. A light hand is needed as the needles are precision items, and it does not pay to thin them any.

Lots of cleaning later they all got reassembled and we had a functional setup again.

I had to flush out the fuel tank to rid it completely of stale fuel, whereupon it became evident that the fuel taps no longer shut off properly. This probably had added to the mess in the carb float bowls, as the old fuel would have continued to refill the carbs as it evaporated off.

So new taps got fitted and the oil got changed, and some electrical issues such as the high beam switch and brake light switch, as part of the brief was to get a wof on it once it was all sweet.

Once the carbs were back on and a new battery fitted, I fired it up briefly to flush the oil cooler before refitting the oil return to the tank. It behaved very well, so I refitted everything in the way of sidecovers etc, giving them all a clean on the way through.

Tyres got pumped up and brakes adjusted and we were off for a brief test ride. This was completed without drama, so a quick fine tune of idle settings then back into the shed and the oil got dropped for a secind time. Only a hot flush manages to remove a lot of old residue, so I do two changes in quick succession as a matter of course. Oil is a lot cheaper than worn bearings.

Because the bike was responding so well to being cleaned I did some more of it, revealing the true splendour of the original raygun mufflers.

I then turned my attention to the front wheel and mudguard...

So we were now ready for our wof, which it flew through with nary a comment other than the complimentary type. Happily the switchgear now worked as it should..

So that was it. Job done. A quick transformation this time which was merciful, and any potential buyer would be most impressed indeed.

I then got to ride it home a moderate distance through the countryside, taking my time and savouring what would likely be the last time on this steed.

One of the best examples this side of the other side.